Friday, July 24, 2009

Name That Blog!

I've had a chronic problem of being an on/off blogger for the past ten years. When I write, I've found that my thoughts don't keep me up till 6a.m. - a time writer's block doesn't seem to exist. When I don't write, I pester my friends with relentless banter of my biggest fears and insecurities via iChat, Facebook messaging, phone calls, and texts. And a noteworthy conversation I had with my good friend Cheryl evoked a revelation to release my thoughts for public viewing.

Brave, I know.

Really, you can stop the applause. Oh, don't get up - there's no need for a standing ovation. Well, if you insist...


Prior to creating my new blog, I figured I'd scour the masses to steal ideas for themes and naming. I even read through several "how to" lists and collections of tips for beginner bloggers. The hardest part was creating a name. Really, the name is what makes or breaks you. I'll forgo the Shakespeare quotation - y'all know it.

Fine, I'll refresh your memory:

What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet.
Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

But the name is everything. Everything.

It's like naming your newborn child. Ladies, I
know you've given some thought to what names you'll ascribe to your future sons and daughters. Don't deny it! I don't feel ashamed in admitting that I've come up with a few myself, but I've taken into account that my future husband's family names will play as a factor. My lists have changed throughout the years, but I tend to combine multi-syllabic, sophisticated girls' names that possibilities of cute nicknames for their childhood years.

You pulled my arm again - I'll release two of my favorites... consider yourself lucky!

Gillian Adele
&
Amelia Jeanne


Yet again, I gear offtrack! I've decided on a name - finally - after much internal deliberation.

suprisingly... upbeat!
is a quotation I pulled from "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days," starring the irresistible duo of Matthew Mcconaughey and Kate Hudson. It's the scene at Andie's morning staff meeting where the writers and editors share potential story ideas and topics of the upcoming issue of their magazine, Composure. Lori, the incessantly optimistic writer who's beat is focused on digging up the hidden truths of procedures like Botox and Ob/Gyn appointments, successfully spins her ideas to be "surprisingly... upbeat!"

Fitting, no?

And although the clouds are covering up the sun, I'm off to lay out and hopefully catch a couple rays with my roommate at the pool. Cross your fingers the sun comes out so I can get a tan!

No comments:

Post a Comment